The Federation of St Sebastian’s & St Cuthbert’s Governors
including the Field of Dreams Nursery and Extended Schools
School governors are the largest volunteer workforce nationally with over 300,000 school governors in England.
The governing body carries out its functions with the aim of taking a largely strategic role in the running of the school. This includes:
- setting up a strategic framework for the school
- setting aims and objectives for the school
- agreeing policies and targets for achieving the objectives
- reviewing progress and reviewing the strategic framework in the light of progress
- ensuring accountability to stakeholders
The governing body acts as a “critical friend” to the Head Teacher by providing support and challenge. The Head Teacher is responsible for the day-to-day management and control of the school and the implementation of the strategic framework established by the governing body. The governors and Head Teacher work together in partnership to raise standards in the school.
There are several types of governors; they are:
- Parent governors: parents and carers of pupils at the school are eligible to stand for governorship at the school. Parent governors are elected by other parents at the school. If insufficient parents stand for election, the governing body can appoint parent governors.
- Staff governors: both teaching and non-teaching staff are eligible for staff governorship. Staff governors are elected by the school staff and must be paid to work at the school – volunteers are not eligible. The Head Teacher is a member of the governing body by virtue of his/her office and counts as a member of the staff category.
- Authority governors: LA governors are appointed by the Local Authority. In Liverpool, the City Council is the appointing body.
- Community governors: community governors are appointed by the governing body to represent community interests, including the business community.
- Foundation governors: foundation governors are appointed by the school’s founding body, usually diocese or trust. If the school has a religious character, the foundation governors must preserve and develop this.
- Sponsor governors: persons who give substantial assistance to the school, financially or in kind, or who provide services to the school can be appointed by the governing body as sponsor governors.
- Associate members: the governing body can appoint associate members to attend full governing body meetings in a non-voting capacity. Associate members may serve on one or more governing body committees with limited voting rights.
The Structure of Governing body is as follows:
Name and Type of Governor
Mr Pat Moloney – Chair / Foundation
Ms Anne Casey – Vice Chair / Foundation
Mrs Carol-Anne Murphy – Foundation
Ms Margaret Brown – Foundation
Mrs Gill Price – Foundation
Mr Mike Laird – Foundation
Ms Jennifer Powell – Authority
Mr Tony Devine – Associate
Mrs Margaret Haney – Associate
Mrs Jeanette Davies – Staff
Mrs Claire Bells-Knox – Head Teacher at St Cuthbert’s – ex oficio
Mrs Jacqui Mulligan – Head of Teacher at St Sebastian’s – ex oficio
Ms Angela Brough – Assistant Head Teacher at St Cuthbert’s – Observer
Ms Joanne Devine – Assistant Head Teacher at St Sebastian’s – Observer
Mrs Lorraine Fay – Observer
Mrs Liz Dodd – Clerk
Parent – St Cuthbert’s
Parent – St Sebastian’s
If you would like to contact any of the governors please send in a sealed envelope for their attention and our administration staff will pass this onto them.