The Federation of St Sebastian’s & St Cuthbert’s Governors
including the Field of Dreams Nursery and Extended Schools
School governors are the largest volunteer workforce nationally with over 300,000 school governors in England.
The governing body carries out its functions with the aim of taking a largely strategic role in the running of the school. This includes:
- setting up a strategic framework for the school
- setting aims and objectives for the school
- agreeing policies and targets for achieving the objectives
- reviewing progress and reviewing the strategic framework in the light of progress
- ensuring accountability to stakeholders
The governing body acts as a “critical friend” to the Head Teacher by providing support and challenge. The Head Teacher is responsible for the day-to-day management and control of the school and the implementation of the strategic framework established by the governing body. The governors and Head Teacher work together in partnership to raise standards in the school.
- Parent governors: parents and carers of pupils at the school are eligible to stand for governorship at the school. Parent governors are elected by other parents at the school. If insufficient parents stand for election, the governing body can appoint parent governors.
- Staff governors: both teaching and non-teaching staff are eligible for staff governorship. Staff governors are elected by the school staff and must be paid to work at the school – volunteers are not eligible. The Head Teacher is a member of the governing body by virtue of his/her office and counts as a member of the staff category.
- Authority governors: LA governors are appointed by the Local Authority. In Liverpool, the City Council is the appointing body.
- Community governors: community governors are appointed by the governing body to represent community interests, including the business community.
- Foundation governors: foundation governors are appointed by the school’s founding body, usually diocese or trust. If the school has a religious character, the foundation governors must preserve and develop this.
- Sponsor governors: persons who give substantial assistance to the school, financially or in kind, or who provide services to the school can be appointed by the governing body as sponsor governors.
- Associate members: the governing body can appoint associate members to attend full governing body meetings in a non-voting capacity. Associate members may serve on one or more governing body committees with limited voting rights.
Governing Body Structure
Download: Governor Structure September 2022
Name and Type of Governor
Mr Pat Moloney – Chair / Foundation
Ms Anne Casey – Vice Chair / Foundation
Ms Ruth Denson – Foundation
Mrs Margaret Haney – Foundation
Mrs Denise Hegarty – Foundation
Mr Simon Holleron – Foundation
Mrs Carol-Anne Murphy – Foundation
Ms Frances Murphy – Foundation
Ms Jennifer Powell – Authority
Ms Jacqueline Benoni – Parent
Ms Faye Corrigan – Parent
Ms Amy Bretherton – Staff
Mrs Claire Bells-Knox – Head Teacher at St Cuthbert’s
Mrs Jacqui Mulligan – Head of Teacher at St Sebastian’s
Mr Tony Devine – Associate
Mr David Jones – Associate
Mr Paul O’Callaghan – Associate
Ms Joanne Devine – Deputy Head Teacher at St Sebastian’s – Observer
Mrs Lorraine Fay – Observer
Ms Danielle Garvey – Assistant Head Teacher at St Cuthbert’s – Observer
Mrs Kate Lunt – Assistant Head Teacher at St Cuthbert’s – Observer
Ms Nina Young – Manager of the Field of Dreams Nursery – Observer
Mr George Allen – Clerk to the Governors
If you would like to contact any of the governors please send in a sealed envelope for their attention and our administration staff will pass this onto them.