We are proud to share our early reading programme: Read Write Inc. First, it teaches children to read sounds and then how to blend the sounds to read words. The video below explains how the programme works.
Read, Write Inc (RWI) is the programme used to teach Phonics at St. Cuthbert’s in Reception through to Year 2. RWI is a very successful reading programme that aims to enable every child to become confident, accurate and fluent readers.
Throughout the programme the children:
- Learn how to pronounce the 44 sounds (single letters, groups of letters) in the English language
- Learn how to form letters correctly using child-friendly patters e.g. Maisie, mountain, mountain for ‘m’
- Learn to read tricky/red words by sight recognition
- Learn how to blend sounds together in order to read e.g. d-o-g becomes dog
- Read a hand-picked selection of a range of fiction and non-fiction books independently and with a reading partner
- Learn how to pronounce and therefore accurately blend ‘silly friends’ e.g. br, sl, scr
- Develop their comprehension skills through careful and age-appropriate questioning
Click on the link below to see a wide variety of videos for how you can support your child with their reading at home.